Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hunter/Jumper Horse Show

This photograph was taken at a recent hunter/jumper horse show as a young rider jumps a fence. I like the excitement that is generated by the head-on approach so I often position myself directly in front of a jump. The height of this jump was only two feet so the horse was only in the air for a split second. I got lucky with the timing because this is the peak. Also, I dropped to my knees to get a lower angle and framed tightly so the bottom of the jump is not visible. This allows the viewer to think the jump may be higher than it actually was. The low angle also gives us an uncluttered background behind the rider.
The image was taken late morning with the sun fairly high. The girl's face is visible but I would have preferred that there wasn't so much shadow under her helmet. We can't control the sun or the schedule of the horse show so we shoot regardless.
100-400 lens at 320mm, 1/1250 second at f/5.6, ISO 200.

No comments: