Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fawn in Thick Grass

This is a whitetail deer fawn that is resting in a meadow with knee-deep grass. I had been shadowing this fawn for some time as it traveled with its mother, trying unsuccessfully to work close enough for photographs. The fawn decided to lay down and the mother wandered away. I decided to sit down and wait for the fawn to get up and provide photo opportunities. The fawn was in no hurry, though, so I busied myself by slowly creeping closer. The fawn was not nervous but it kept an eye on me. This photograph was an experiment to see if anything attractive could result from shooting through the thick grass.
I wanted to stay close to eye-level but knew there would be no chance to get a clear view. The fawn's ears were alert so I figured the animal would be recognizable even if one couldn't see the whole face. I focused manually on the ears and took this frame. This is not my usual style as I usually strive to include a sharp image of the eye in my animal photos. However, this image appeals to me and I'm glad I tried it.

No comments: