Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Slalom Water Skier

Here is a photograph of a waterskier carving a turn during open water skiing. If he were running a slalom course there would be a buoy in the water for him to turn around. I rode in the boat, kneeling on a seat near the stern.
I will often frame very tightly on the skier because I like close-ups. This is challenging with a medium-long lens because a boat running at 36 mph will have some bounce in the open water. For this shot I backed off a little and placed the skier in the upper right. This makes the rope come from the lower left, making a nice diagonal line that leads directly to the subject. I like this composition. And the skiers like seeing more of their spray than would be visible on a tight shot.
1/2000 at 5.6, ISO 200, lens at 140mm. Taken at 9:30 AM. I prefer a lower sun angle and softer light but we didn't get out early enough.

No comments: