Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Offshore Powerboat Race

This boat was racing in the Offshore Powerboat Association Racing Series on Lake St. Clair near Mt. Clemens, Michigan on Sunday. I was stationed on a 30' day cruiser idling along the outside perimeter of the course. The lake was choppy and it led to this shot of the race boat getting airborne. It also made photography very difficult as the boat was constantly pitching and rolling. Not only was it hard to hold the camera but I couldn't even keep my balance. I shot this at 1/4000, not as much to stop the boat action but to stop my serious camera movement.
I was able to get several nice shots of the boats crossing directly in front and they were close enough to fill the frame. I like this one, though, because there is so much bright white spray that contrasts with the water and boat. The image portrays more speed and action than the closer shots I got.

No comments: