Friday, March 22, 2013

Ski Race-Giant Slalom

This is a photograph of a skier at a gate on the giant slalom course.  I was very fortunate to be able to photograph the skiers of a local team during a training day.  It was not an actual race so I was able to position myself in the middle of the course, something I can't do on race day.  It is certainly possible to get angles like this during a race since the course layouts can vary a lot.  But on this day I didn't have to worry as much about being in the way.
Two factors about this camera position are notable.  First, this head-on position lets us see the athlete's face and the extreme body angle.  Second, I was positioned slightly below the flat spot where the gate is located.  This allowed the camera to be almost level with the flat spot and below the athlete's head.  Both of these factors contribute to a dramatic action shot.
400mm lens, 1/4000 sec at f/3.5, ISO 100.

No comments: