Monday, March 28, 2016

Head to Head Snow Ski Racing

Here is another photograph from a duals ski race with two skiers racing head to head.  It is tricky to get both skiers in the same frame.  In the two frames previous to this one I was only getting the more distant skier (she was slightly ahead) but as they passed my position I was able to get two more frames that included both of them.  This image is pretty good representation of exciting head to head racing.  Usually I shoot the alpine ski races with a fixed 400mm lens because I am getting only a few gates with a single skier.  For this duals race, though, I used a zoom lens because it allowed me the flexibility to zoom in on one skier or go wider to get both athletes in the frame.  In the shot above I had backed out the zoom all the way as they flew past me.
100-400 lens at 100mm, 1/2000 second at f/5.0, ISO 250.

No comments: