Monday, July 11, 2011

Fawn Whitetail Deer

This fawn whitetail deer had been laying low in the tall grass while I slowly edged closer and closer. It knew I was there but had become quite used to my presence after a couple of hours of shadowing its movements before it lay down. Unfortunately, all that time spent getting close meant that the sun was high and the light was harsh. Ordinarily, I would have been home by then but I was thrilled to be so close (100-400 lens at 135mm) that I kept following along and shooting.
I was sitting when I took the shot because I like being at eye-level but it was difficult to find a window through the tall grass. I'm not fond of the tall, blurry grasses in the foreground but they tend to frame the fawn somewhat. I'll have to try this again with softer light.

No comments: