Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Whitetail Deer Fight

These two ten-point bucks were not really fighting. They were gently sparring with their antlers and it only lasted 10 seconds or so. The picture is cool, though, as it certainly looks like it could be a real fight. These deer were together when I first saw them that morning and showed no signs of hostility. Fortunately, I was close enough to get a few shots when they started butting heads. I would have preferred to be more to my right side and a little lower but the show was over before I could risk moving and spooking them. The sun was still quite low so I was lucky that the deer were close to the little sunbeam. There were many areas of the woods that were still in deep shade. This was shot at 1/500 sec at f5.6, ISO 500, 400mm lens.

No comments: