Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Buck Whitetail Deer

This is one of my favorite whitetail deer photographs taken during the rut about a month ago. The buck has a great set of antlers with a total of eight points and long tines. The morning had very dense fog which is still visible in the background. I had been watching the buck slowly approach in my direction as he had considerable interest in a couple of nearby does. Unfortunately for him, a ten point buck was tending the does and this guy decided to keep his distance. This proved fortunate for me, though, because he lingered in this spot for a couple of minutes. I took this photo as the sun began burning through the fog and cast a nice soft light on the deer. 1/400 at f5.6, ISO 1000, handheld with a 100-400mm lens with image stabilization.

No comments: