Tuesday, September 14, 2010

High Speed Turn-Wooden Boat

Here are two photographs of an antique, wooden boat at high speed. The boat is a 1930 30' triple-cockpit, Hackercraft runabout operating on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. This photo shoot was planned and coordinated closely with the driver. I was standing in water about 4 feet deep because I like the low angle.
The plan was to drive the boat on a path perpendicular to me, then make a sharp turn in my direction. I fired a series of shots during the maneuver to capture the entire turn but my original objective was to get this second image with the boat directly facing me. I got the shot but the overall impact was less than desired. I expected the front of the boat to stay more out of the water which would give a much greater sense of action. Racing hulls will respond that way. Instead, on this hull the bow actually digs in on a turn and the sense of speed is diminished. Nonetheless, its a pretty cool shot with the spray and the boat banking sharply.

No comments: