Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lacrosse player jumping to catch the ball.

I recently photographed a high school varsity lacrosse game and found it quite challenging. The action is fast and the players are up and down the field so much that it is difficult to keep up with them. This is one of my favorite images from the game for several reasons. First, the ball is very visible in the pocket as the player has just caught it. Second, the player is jumping and both feet are off the ground. Third, the player is isolated and clearly recognizable to his parents.
The net behind the player is somewhat objectionable but nothing could be done about that. Also, one could make the case that having some members of the opposing team in the frame would enhance the feeling of competition. Many of my other shots from the game do indeed have that aspect and I will post some of them, too. But I like this shot as more of an action portrait, so to speak. Shots like this can't be scripted during an actual game so I was pleased to come home with it.

No comments: