Thursday, May 6, 2010

Herd of Bison

I shot this photo of a bison herd on a private ranch near Cheboygan, Michigan. The herd numbered about a dozen animals when I spotted them about 100 yards away. I was content to get a group shot from that respectable distance but when they saw me they all started to walk toward me. I don't know what motivated them and they did not appear agitated. Nonetheless, I started slowly backtracking since many of these animals are as tall as a pickup truck and they were spread out in a line while coming at me. It felt like the hunter had become the hunted.
I took this photo while in retreat at about 60 yards as they kept closing the distance. I finally was able to take a route through a narrow corner of woods. The bison stopped there while I continued out the other side.
The time was 6:51 AM, slight overcast sky, ISO 5000, 400mm IS lens handheld, 1/320 at 5.6 on the Canon Mk IV body.

No comments: